top of page
Allen Chapel.png

127 Pine St

Suffolk, VA 23434

Service Time: 11 AM

Church School: 9:30 AM

Bible Study

In 1867, the African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church extended a letter of invitation for the African Methodist to join the AME Church. The invitation was met with approval by the Methodist Church and accepted by the Colored (Africans) Methodist.  The AME Mission was birthed.

In October1868, the African Methodist Mission purchased a lot on Pine Street from Richard and Marie Tynes which is where the church now stands. These early members did not own wagons and other means of transportation, so they transported the disassembled timbers of the old Union Chapel, plank by plank and board by board from Cedar Hill to Pine Street on their shoulders. Sometime during 1869 the building was deemed habitable for worship.

The records of the Fourth Virginia Annual Conference of African Methodist Church held during 1870 indicates that Macedonia Mission was officially accepted into the Virginia Annual Conference.  Bishop A.W. Wayman, presided at the conference.  Macedonia Mission was assigned to the Portsmouth District under the leadership of Reverend D.W. Schureman, Presiding Elder.

Macedonia AME Church

Pastor Derrell Wade.JPG

Rev. Derrell Wade

Pastor, Macedonia AME Church

bottom of page