Allen Chapel.png
ebenezwe.png

1563 Lafayette Blvd NW,

Roanoke, VA 24017

Sunday School 10:00 AM

Worship Service 11:00 AM

Bible Study 6:00 PM (Thursdays)

In 1908 a group who lived in or about the Norge area of Southwest Roanoke decided to start a Sunday school Class.  There was not a church for blacks in that immediate area.  The group met in the home of Mr. and Mrs. James St. Clair. After several meetings, they decided that they needed help to get organized, so they asked Rev. Rufus Mays of Salem, VA. to help them.   For a while Rev. Mays served as their Sunday School leader and later helped them to become organized as a church.  It was not mentioned exactly when Ebenezer became a part of the Virginia Conference.  It is assumed to be between 1908 and 1910 since Rev. Rufus Mays became the first Pastor of Ebenezer in 1910.

            The founding members of Ebenezer A.M.E. Church were: Mr. and Mrs. James R. St. Clair, Mr. William Reece, Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Anderson, Mr. and Mrs. Rufus Dillon, Mr. and Mrs.  James Jones, Mrs. Beatrice Lawson, Mr. and Mrs. Steven H. Hale, Mrs. Lina Reid, Mr. Leroy Stout, and Mrs. Edith Washington

            We are grateful for ministers who provided Ebenezer with good leadership in helping the members to make the journey from the home of Mr. and Mrs. James R. St. Clair in Norge to Lafayette Blvd. and Cove Rd. N.W.  However, we are aware of the fact that good leadership without good fellowships of no effect.  Ebenezer has always had members who would give cheerfully of their time, talent and finance. From 1910 -2018, thirty ministers were appointed to Ebenezer A.M.E. Church. Unless the lord builds the house, its builders labor in vain.  Psalms 127:1

Ebenezer AME Church

Michael McCray Pic.jpeg

Rev. Michael McCray

Pastor, Ebenezer AME Church