Allen Chapel.png

St. James AME Church

501 Dinwiddie Street

Norfolk, VA 23523

St. James AME Church organized in 1866 in a cart shed. The congregation grew steadily and 2 churches were birthed, First Baptist and St. James AME. St. James began to worship in “Ox Hall” and in 1880 the members of St. James along with their leader Rev. Peter Shepherd erected a church building on donated land. The original St. James Church was purchased by the city for the redevelopment of South Norfolk. The congregation purchased the present church from the Episcopalians in 1957. St. James has its place in the history of the Berkley Community and is known as the oldest church in the community. Through the years many great pastors have shepherded the loving congregation. The present pastor Rev. Dr. Eugenia Bowser is the first woman to pastor this great church.

St. James AME Church

Bowser.jpg

Rev. Dr. Eugenia Bowser

Pastor, St. James AME Church