655 Main Street
Smithfield, VA 23431
Service Time: 10 AM
Church School: 8:45 AM
Smithfield’s first church was built in 1812 on lot #23 at the South end of Mason Street by the Methodist Episcopal congregation. It was a crude, unpainted, uncomfortable building until 1834, when many improvements were made. It was sold in 1848 to the Methodist Protestant Society. In 1877 this property was sold to Brown’s AME Church.
In 1868, Brown’s AME church was organized on Church Street in an office building owned by George Washington Thomas.
God moved in a mysterious way on Sunday, March 31, 1957. After Sunday School and Morning Service around 2:30 PM, a tragic fire completely destroyed the building and furnishing of the church. The pastor at that time was Rev. F. R. A. Ward. Following the death of Rev. Ward, Brown’s AME Church, held services for seven years at the Smithfield Elks #65. Believing in strength and unity, the congregation of our sister church Ebenezer, consolidated with Brown’s on the first Sunday in January 1963.
The fourth Sunday in March 1964 was a joyous celebration for all. That was the day on which we finally marched into our new church. Rev. Sidney Wesley Williams, Jr. was our current pastor. We have come a long way and yet there is still much work to do. The harvest is plentiful but the laborers are few. God has been good, and His mercy endureth forever. We continuously pray that Jesus Christ will order our steps for many more years.
Brown's AME Church
Rev. Gilbert Harper, Sr.
Pastor, Brown's AME Church